Dear Freshman Year Me

https://hhshawktalk.com/15082/opinion/editors/my-freshman-year/

Malachi Johnston, Writer

This is a letter of advice that you could’ve used back in your freshman year of high school. This advice ranges from routines you could’ve used, habits you could’ve gotten into, and stuff of that nature. Maybe you’d be in a better place in your school life if you would’ve applied this advice maybe you wouldn’t be, who knows? You know what they say, hindsight is 20/20. So let me share with you some words of wisdom that I have.

The first piece of advice that I have is get yourself into a good routine. What I mean is wake up every morning at 7:00 am, go to bed by at least 11:00 pm. Get dressed and prepared, eat breakfast every morning, and get in a cup of coffee every morning. Use your free time like in study hall to get as much work done as possible. Then go home and indulge yourself in your hobbies if you have nothing left to do. Getting into a routine can be difficult at first but once you start getting into it you’ll find out that it’s not so hard to do everything that you need to do.

Another piece of advice would be to work on your habit of procrastination. Instead of waiting to work on things until the last minute try working on things the day that you get it. Make sure you remove any distractions until you finish your task. Remember also to not worry about it too much and remember that everyone goes through this and everyone has to work on it. Once you get your work done then you can do whatever it is that you enjoy doing. I know that it’s a hard thing to work on as it’s a part of your nature but if you keep at it you can improve. I promise you that. 

One of my last pieces of advice for you might be a little stereotypical and simple but it’s a good piece of advice and that is to be yourself. You’re going into your first year of high school and I know you’re going to be tempted to change yourself for other people, you want to try to fit in and who doesn’t? Just remember that you should be yourself because you will like who you are. I know it might sound simple but it’s hard to remember for some people. So don’t be afraid of being yourself, whoever that is.

So these are some pieces of advice for my freshman self. If you would have applied this, who knows where you’d be now. Maybe you’d be in a very different place, maybe you wouldn’t be I don’t know. If anything maybe someone else will learn from this advice and I hope that it takes them somewhere. So these were just some words of wisdom to my past self.