Advice To Myself As A Freshman

Advice To Myself As A Freshman

Allie Blevins, writer

I often think about how I was as a freshman and how different I am now. As a freshman the things that were most important to me don’t seem to matter as much now. If I could give advice to my younger teen self there is a lot I would have to say and very valuable things, but if I am being honest, I know that my younger self still wouldn’t listen. The first thing I would tell younger me is that you don’t need to worry so much about how you look. I used to wake up at 5:00 a.m. just to do my hair and makeup, and because I went to a public school, I would spend a long amount of time deciding what I was going to wear and what hairstyle would look the best with it. And the funny thing is I would get tired of how I looked halfway through the day and start thinking about what I was going to wear the next day, and do it all over again. This is such a waste of time. I lost so much sleep worrying about how I looked just because I wanted to impress other people. The second thing I would tell myself as a freshman would be that some friendships just don’t last. I thought that the girls I called my best friends in 9th grade would be my bff’s for life, and honestly I don’t talk to any of them anymore. It is always sad to lose friendships, but when it happens there is always a reason, and I have made the best friends I have ever had since moving schools. The last thing is to just be yourself. I tried to fit in everywhere I could as a freshman. I would act different around different types of people just so they would like me, but I was never really being myself. And though there is probably more advice I could give myself, this advice is the most important to me.