School Start Times Are Too Early

Back to Article
Back to Article

School Start Times Are Too Early

Creative Commons

Creative Commons

Creative Commons

Malachi Johnston, Writer

The current time at which school starts is too early in the morning. For the longest time schools all around the country have had their schools start as early as 8:00 AM without realizing that it hinders the students that attend there. The less sleep the more poorly the students will perform at school. So when you think about it, what is the point of starting school at 8:00 AM? Therefore, school should start at 8:30 at the latest, that way students can get a good amount of sleep before going to school.

Starting school at 8:00 AM is detrimental to a students health both physically and mentally. The American Academy of Sleep Medicine recommends that students ages 13-18 should get 8-10 hours of sleep for good health. Students who do not get this amount of sleep are more likely to be overweight, suffer from symptoms of depression, engage in unhealthy behaviors like drinking, smoking, and using drugs, and have poor performance in school. During puberty teenagers typically start going to bed at later hours. Because of this, students do wake up in a very healthy manner. With all of these health factors in mind, schools should consider changing their start times and start promoting healthy sleeping habits for the sake of the students.

So the start times for schools should be changed to 8:30 at the least so students can get a good amount of sleep before school. Considering all of the health benefits, this would be beneficial to both the school and the students. Schools don’t want their students to perform poorly because of their own start times. Schools should also be wary of the risks that come with early start time and should be avoiding them for the sake of the students. As of right now the start times are too early.