INFernO

One Teacher’s End-of-the-Year Musings

To the Class of 2019

Back to Article
Back to Article

One Teacher’s End-of-the-Year Musings

The powerful written word.

The powerful written word.

Pixabay

The powerful written word.

Pixabay

Pixabay

The powerful written word.

Wesley Courser, Adviser

As you know by now, when you come in to my class, we get started right away–no wasting time at the bell.  English class is serious business. This professionalism can sometimes seem hard-hearted or uncaring, but it is nothing but a deep-rooted desire for you to LEARN!

You seem to know us well.  We can spot a grammar error a mile away since we have read so many essays and papers over years.  We give out classic literature reading assignments by the ton. We expect you to memorize vocabulary words and definitions like you are a walking dictionary.  Read a novel this semester, and read Shakespeare the next. Present your research and synthesize your ideas. The list goes on and on.

Sometimes praise does not come easily or come enough.  Rest assured, seniors. We have seen you conquer those writing assignments.  We have agonized with you through multiple drafts. Most of all, we have seen your learning.  For some of you, we have been one of your two English teachers through four years of high school.  Believe me, you have come a long way.

GPA acknowledges it.  Standardized testing recognizes it.  You, seniors, are ready. Go! Carpe Diem.  “Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes.”  James 4:14 (NIV).

You are NOT tomorrow’s Christian.  You are today’s Christian. You are today’s leader.  You are today’s servant. Go! Serve! You are equipped for ministry now!

I am pulling for you and praying for God to direct you.  We need you to influence the world for Christ. You will. You must.