INFernO

The Lego Movie Failure

Spoilers for The Lego Movie 2

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Lego Movie Failure

A scene from the new Lego movie's character, Emmett.

Warner Animation Group

Warner Animation Group

Warner Animation Group

Caleb Hignite, Contributor

Recently I saw The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part, and shockingly it was as dumb and lackluster as the title might seem.

The choice to have Mike Mitchell, as opposed to having the directors of the first Lego Movie Phil Lord and Chris Miller helm the ship was felt strongly throughout. While the duo produced the film, it suffered from feeling oversimplified, stacked up with music to pad the lack of a strong plot. Sure it may seem odd of me to criticize a 2-hour long children’s toy commercial for being too childish, but with the wit, freshness, and excitement of the first movie, it’s hard not to. After five years of waiting for a sequel, I left the theater disappointed.

The characters we grew to love from the first movie hardly ever seem like themselves and many are even reduced to thoughtless, one joke toting, background characters. Emmet seems less charming than the first time around and seems to have learned nothing after his story-arch in the first movie. Wildstyles character takes a hit as she feels forgettable in the overall plot. Spaceship Man’s character is reduced to basically screaming “SPACESHIPS” for the entire movie (a joke that got old in the first movie and felt very tedious here as well), and Metalbeard and Unikitty were overall completely forgettable as I could not even remember anything they did in the movie while writing this besides yelling, having little screen-time, and turning into a giant red cat to no avail.

Even the concept holds up very little after the revelation at the end of the first movie that none of this is real. It leads to many scenes in this movie making little to no actual sense when given just a second to think (back to that in a second). In the real world, characters literally materialize out of nowhere and nobody questions it at all. This point actually leads me into my favorite part of the movie which was a concept presented in the Third Act. The new character Rex Dangervest, voiced by Chris Pratt, is revealed to be the original Emmet from the first movie who was left under a dryer, forgotten about, and came back for revenge in the form of an amalgamation of Chris Pratt’s actions star roles.

As I’ve alluded to multiple times before, Part Two gives you plenty of time to think despite its sometimes breakneck scene jumping from set piece to set piece. This leads to multiple jokes being stretched out to odd lengths and so many musical set pieces that almost make this feel like a Lego extension of Broadway rather than the first film. One of the most blatant offenders of this is a song entitled “This Song’s Gonna Get Stuck In Your Head” taking up a surprising amount of time. This was obviously a grab at the popularity of “Everything is Awesome.” The best part is despite the “on the nose title,” nobody seems to remember how it goes at all.

As a life long Lego fan, I was really upset walking out of this movie because I really want them to be good and succeed. I have loved all the proceeding feature length Lego films, but because of what seemed to be a lack of thought put into this film as opposed to the others, it seemed to have smashed my hopes for this film to pieces.

(DISCLAIMER: These are the personal opinions of Caleb Hignite a couple of weeks after viewing this film during a date, and they are subject to change after repeat viewings at any point in time for the rest of his life)

About the Writer
Caleb Hignite, Contributor

Caleb Hignite, also known as Caleb, is a senior at MCS with the arms of an orangutan. He is also always the loudest mouth in the room. If that doesn’t...

1 Comment

One Response to “The Lego Movie Failure”

1. Zayne Hill on March 8th, 2019 11:36 am

Cool

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• The Lego Movie Failure

Arts & Entertainment

The Captain Arrives

• The Lego Movie Failure

Arts & Entertainment

Alita: Battle Angel Student Review

• The Lego Movie Failure

Arts & Entertainment

Avengers: Endgame Trailers

• The Lego Movie Failure

Arts & Entertainment

Best by Innovation (best movie of 2018)

• The Lego Movie Failure

Arts & Entertainment

MCS Image sings for Richland Source’s Countdown to Christmas

• The Lego Movie Failure

Arts & Entertainment

The Beginning of the End

• The Lego Movie Failure

Arts & Entertainment

Creed is Back (Creed II Review)

• The Lego Movie Failure

Arts & Entertainment

Bohemian Rhapsody!

• The Lego Movie Failure

Arts & Entertainment

Venom

• The Lego Movie Failure

News

Racist Air

The student news site of Mansfield Christian School
The Lego Movie Failure