INFernO

In the Age of Argument; DO!

Author of article points to his favorite verse.

Sydney Moritz

Christopher Barbely, Contributor

One of my personal favorite pieces of scriptures is 1st Corinthians 2:4-5 which says: “My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit’s power so that your faith might not rest on human wisdom, but on God’s power.” We live in a culture of argument that only gives credit to those who know their way around words even if the facts are put in the metaphorical backseat. Paul instead of using his words showed the people of Corinth Jesus by his works. More importantly, he showed them the works of the holy spirit, not just his own works.

People are argumentative by nature and want logical reasons before they even begin to believe anything. Wanting reasons is not a bad thing but when that alone becomes the core of your entire belief system it can become problematic. Many people totally disregard their own life experiences because it “doesn’t make logical sense” and because of that, a culture of faith is nearly impossible. With that being said, God can soften the heart of those with even the hardest hearts. Just as he softened the heart of Paul so can He soften the heart of those around us.

But the most import thing is to do! Act out your faith! It was not the words of Christ that led the people to Him, it was His works and miracles. It was His words that made the people stay but they came to see the sick healed and demons cast out and food multiplied (which would have got me walking for miles to see). But once the show was done it was His words that captivated the masses. They were only simple stories but they were simple stories that they could relate to and had deep meaning. Jesus did not speak like the Pharisees with big flowery words that made Him sound more important and sophisticated. No! He spoke to the common man with a common language to get the message of God’s love across to them.

Paul specifically stated that it was a demonstration of the Spirit’s power and not our own. We cannot, and should never think we can, bring someone to Christ. That is reserved for the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit can use you but it is not you directly saving someone from eternal damnation. When a carpenter makes a chair you do not say it was built by a hammer; you would say it was built with the hammer and by the carpenter. I am a firm believer that God can and still does, use Christians to work miracles in His name to further His Kingdom through “demonstrations of the Spirit” just as Paul said. when someone says to you: “You will do great things for the kingdom,” that doesn’t just mean preaching a good sermon or working weekly at a food shelter to help the needy (Just as a note; I am NOT saying these are in any way inferior just that there is more than just those kind of things) that can also mean seeing the sick healed or demons cast out.

No one can explain away a true miracle. Try as they might, all they are doing is just reasoning against a brick wall.  God uses several people in several different ways. Just as Paul wrote later in the same letter to the Corinthians in 1st Corinthians chapter 12. We all have a gift to use for God. The only thing now is to use it!

DO!

About the Contributors
Christopher Barbely, Contributor

Christopher Barbely is a senior at Mansfield Christian and has attended MCS for all twelve plus years of his academic career. He has a variety of interests...

Sydney Moritz, Contributor

Sydney is a senior at Mansfield Christian High School. She has attended MCS since Freshman year. She has cheered and played softball. She also enjoys coaching...