INFernO

State of the Union…Finally!

Back to Article
Back to Article

State of the Union…Finally!

The Economics, Western Civilization, and Government teacher, Mr. John Speer, gives his opinion on POTUS's State of the Union Speech.

Colton Reas and Monicka Ridgill

Colton Reas and Monicka Ridgill

Colton Reas and Monicka Ridgill

Colton Reas, Contributor

From the beginning of the United States to the modern day, the State of the Union speech has been a milestone in every presidency. From the time of George Washington to our modern day president, Donald Trump, the State of the Union has been spoken by most every President to have ever passed through the oval office. But what exactly is a State of the Union speech?

The State of the Union address is a speech made by the President to the people. “A yearly address delivered each January by the president of the US to Congress, giving the administration’s view of the state of the nation and plans for legislation”, as described in the dictionary. This year’s State of the Union address occurred on February 2, 2019, due to the government shut down that occurred on December 25, 2018, and ended on January 25, 2019.

The State of the Union Address this year consisted of many different things concerning the country and what Congress should do in the future. First, Donald Trump greeted Congress and all the people of the nation, saying he is not giving a Democratic or Republican plan, but a plan to help the nation as a whole.

Second, he recognized the sacrifices made during World War II along with the US moon landing and how they affected the future of the nation. Trump also states that “We must create a new standard of living” by making our cities safer, make a bigger middle class, making our faith deeper, and families that are stronger.

Then he went on to inform Congress and the country what has been accomplished and what has been done already for the good of this nation. But he also says that there is still much work to be done to once again make America great again.

Mr. John Speer, MCS secondary social studies teacher stated:  “Overall I thought the president did a very good job covering all the basic issues within the United States whether they be social or economic. He did a good job appealing to both parties, kind of a nonpartisan speech. He also touched on sensitive issues for both Democrats and Republicans. Overall he was professional and did a good job of biting his tongue which is sometimes hard for Trump. As a whole, he was able to represent the entire nation, not just the Republicans, but the nation.”

About the Writer
Colton Reas, Contributor

Colton Jay Reas is the full name of this student at Mansfield Christian School. He is a very hard working man who tries to do his best at everything. He...