INFernO

Bone Chilling News

Back to Article
Back to Article

Bone Chilling News

The representation of  freezing cold days.

The representation of freezing cold days.

Colton Reas

Colton Reas

Colton Reas

Colton Reas, Contributor

Wednesday, January 29, 2019, is said to have been one of the coldest days in the history of Ohio, with the high temperature only predicted to be between negative three and negative one degree. With this kind of weather, there are many different hazards that need to be addressed.

First, with such extreme lows, the ever-present threat of frostbite looms over anyone who is willing to traverse into the cold weather. Frostbite can occur at extremely cold temperatures and is usually when the skin is exposed to this kind of cold for long periods of time. So it is best to stay indoors unless it is an absolute necessity to go out. If the need to go out does occur, dress as warmly as can be and make sure to not to stay in the cold too long, to get to a warm and safe spot to stop.

Second, is the well known but very deadly hypothermia. Hypothermia is when the body’s temperature has gone below the usual threshold of 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit (37 degrees Celsius). The most common mistake with hypothermia is that takes the bodies temperature to drop extremely low, the fact is that if the body were to drop only in a few degrees it might cause hypothermia. To prevent hypothermia, dress warmly and in layers, take regular breaks as to not overexert the body if walking, and stay indoors as much as possible.

Third, is the simple fact that in such cold temperatures, cars may not be able to start. Make sure to store a car inside a warm or insulated place, because if the engine gets too cold, the car will not start. Always check your tires before leaving the house, in such cold temperatures the air pressure in the tires will go down, so it is best to always check them before going out. If the car breaks down when out, call for help DO NOT get out and try and walk to a gas station, in the car at least u can stay warm and comfortable. If you decide to walk to a station it could lead to long exposures to the cold which can cause hypothermia, frostbite, and a number of cold-related illnesses that could lead to death. Stay inside the car and call for a family member, a tow truck, or a good friend that lives close to where the car broke down, but DO NOT get out and try to walk.

About the Contributor
Colton Reas, Contributor

Colton Jay Reas is the full name of this student at Mansfield Christian School. He is a very hard working man who tries to do his best at everything. He...