INFernO

Future Protester: Sydney Moritz

Back to Article
Back to Article

Future Protester: Sydney Moritz

A woman protesting

A woman protesting

pixelbay

A woman protesting

pixelbay

pixelbay

A woman protesting

Alexandrea Sams, Contributor

Has there ever been a topic in your society that really fired you up? A topic that was so sensitive to your beliefs and opinions that even the very thought of it, stirred a righteous passion in you to debate it with others?

We all have our own opinions and beliefs about things going on in our society. We will share our thoughts with each other, debate with each other about things and in some cases, protest movements.

Protesting is the act of publicly demonstrating strong objection to a policy or course of action. They may march, yell, riot, display signs with slogans or shout phrases of discontent.

Some people view protesting as a negative, but it really depends on the topic and how you carry yourself as a protester. Here at MCS, we have a future protester with us in the senior class named Sydney Moritz. Sydney is a passionate aspiring protester of Animal Testing.

“I am against this topic because God did not create animals to be tested on and even if the people doing it think that it may be for a good cause, it is still considered animal abuse,” she says. She feels strongly about this topic and aspires to travel and protest when she graduates. I’m sure there are many people who agree with her on this, for various reasons.

Sydney believes that animal experiments are cruel, unreliable and even dangerous. Many pharmaceutical and cosmetic companies use animals to test medicines, makeup, hair products, and other items. This testing is not promoting anything positive in our society and these acts do not glorify God in any way. It is unethical to sentence 100 million thinking, feeling animals to live in a laboratory cage and intentionally inflict pain, fear, and loneliness into them.

Again, Sydney states that the process is literally bad science because The Food and Drug Administration reports that 92 out of every 100 drugs that pass animal tests fail in humans. Animal experimentation and testing are wasteful. It prolongs the suffering of people waiting for effective cures by misleading experiments and squandering precious time, resources and money that could have been spent on human-relevant-research.

Sydney’s beliefs stem from the fact that people still consider animal testing is archaic in itself. Forward-thinking scientists have developed humane, modern and effective non-animal research methods including human-based micro-dosing, in-vitro technology, human patient simulators, and sophisticated computer modeling, that are cheaper, faster and more accurate than animal tests. It is the most genuinely unnecessary form of testing.

God most certainly did not give mankind dominion over his creation so that we may take innocent lives in order to benefit our own desires. The act of doing this testing on Gods creatures is selfish. Animals are beautiful and intricate creations. They are blessings to us! Each one has its own individual purpose and quirks that make it what it is. Just like all of us. Everyone we know and see, all humans, are different. We are all uniquely crafted in his image.

We all have a specific skill, trait, and persona that defines who we are. Animals may be incapable of speaking, but they are just as unique as us. Spiders keep bugs away. Dogs help save lives, fight for us, and aid those with disabilities. Dolphins helped us in the war. Horses and cattle are the Beasts of Burden and they help us with farm work and transportation. Even pigeons can carry notes. There are endless possibilities! .

The world doesn’t need another eyeliner, hand soap, ingredient, drug or pesticide so badly that it should come at the expense of an animals life.

About the Writer
Alexandrea Sams, Contributor

Alexandrea Sams is a senior at Mansfield Christian High School. She is eighteen years old and plans on attending NCSC and doing a two-year nursing program...