Government Shutdown!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Government Shutdown!

A representation of a sign that would hang on some doors to government buildings.

Colton Reas

Colton Reas

Colton Reas

Colton Reas, Contributor

On December 22, 2018, because of a disagreement over how to fund part of the government, a partial government shutdown began. However, many students may wonder how this affects people today.

First, an explanation of what a partial government shut down is. A government shut down is when certain parts of the government are closed down and many of the nonessential workers are sent home. Those a part of the essential parts of the government, have to work every day without pay.

Secondly, this partial shutdown effects ordinary citizens of America. Many of the national parks inside of the United States are either understaffed or that they have no staff at all servicing the parks. Many of the people who are deemed “not needed” in their federal job are now not working and not getting paid. Some of the people who are actually needed for everyday life are still working but are not being paid for there labors.

Thirdly, here are some of the reasons for this particular government shut down. The reason this government shut down is happening is because of Congress and President Trump’s disagreements on the funding for the Southern border wall. The needed budget for the border wall is a sum of around five billion dollars. President Trump shut down the government so that some if not much of the money needed for the wall will accumulate over time or until Congress gives in and gives him the funding. Congress has tried many different compromises that exclude any kind of funding for the wall and Trump has denied many of these offers due to the simple fact that the funding is not in them. In conclusion, until Trump either gets his funding or Trump caves to the demands of Congress, it may be a very long time before the partial government shut down is over and many of the people affected by this are back to work and paid.