INFernO

This Month in Pro Sports: October

Fight+Ad
Fight Ad

Fight Ad

Yahoo Sports Advertisement

Yahoo Sports Advertisement

Fight Ad

Adam Vealey, Contributor

October is always a huge month in sports. The MLB postseason takes place over most of the month, the NFL season is in full swing, and the NBA starts their regular season. College football also storms the country once again with some huge games. Over this month a new champion would take over baseball, there would be some executive decisions made for the Browns, and the Cavs would give us a glimpse of what their season is going to be like this year without Lebron. October always ends up being a proving ground for what teams can do.

Red Sox win the World Series: The Boston Red Sox beat the Los Angeles Dodgers winning five games and only losing one. The Red Sox walked all over the Dodgers for most of the series, and in the end, the Red Sox would become the new champions with Steven Pearce winning the World Series MVP award.

Rams go undefeated in the first half of the NFL season: The LA Rams went 8-0 for the first half of the season, achieving the best record in the NFL. They are led by quarterback Jared Goff and running back Todd Gurley who have proven themselves as elite players in the league. The Rams defense also contributed greatly to their teams phenomenal season.

The Browns have gotten off to a rocky start, although they are already been much better off than in their past two seasons. Ending the month of October they have a record of two wins, six losses, and one tie with the Steelers. On October 29th the Browns fired their head coach Hue Jackson and offensive coordinator Todd Haley. The Browns would also go on to trade one of their best running backs in Carlos Hyde to the Jacksonville Jaguars. The Browns also have moved their number one draft pick, Baker Mayfield, into the starting quarterback role. The Browns are hoping that these changes will increase their luck and skill as a team on the field.

In the world of college football, Ohio State is having a really good year. The Buckeyes have an overall record of seven wins and one loss as October comes to a close. October gave the Buckeyes two wins and their only loss; with wins over Indiana and Minnesota, as well as a loss against Perdue. These games put the Buckeyes at #10 in the rankings.

The Cavaliers have not been the team that we have been seeing for the past few years. The loss of Lebron James has brought the team to a state of mediocrity. The Cavs season started on October 17th where they would lose to the Toronto Raptors, and this game would begin their six-game losing streak. However, the Cavs would go on to win their final game of October making their record one win and six losses. This pattern in performance led to the firing of coach Tyronn Lue by the decision of the team’s higher-ups. The firing of coaches for teams in Cleveland, Ohio seems to a common occurrence this year.

It is also worthy to note one of the biggest sporting events of October that did not take place in any of the big four sports in America (Baseball, Football, Basketball, Hockey). This would be one of the most awaited UFC fights of all time: Khabib Nurmagomedov VS Conor McGregor. This event was hyped up to be a huge fight as Conor was making his return to the octagon and Khabib was sporting an undefeated record of 26-0. Months and months of smack talk led up to this fight, to the point of where this fight became personal for both of the fighters. The end would come when Khabib made McGregor tap out with a rear-naked choke in the 4th round of the fight, turning Khabib’s record into 27-0 and Connors’ record into 21-4.

About the Writer
Adam Vealey, Contributor

Adam Vealey, otherwise known as “The Veal” is a senior at Mansfield Christian School. He is on the baseball team and plays pitcher, second base, and third base. His favorite class that MCS offers is ceramics because he takes in his creations. After high school, Adam plans to attend Hocking College in Nelsonville Ohio. He intends to study natural resources law enforcement with an end goal of becoming a game warden.