INFernO

Filed under Student Life

Defining Before Knowing

Senior
Senior

Senior

Pat Burleigh

Pat Burleigh

Senior

As the school year draws to an end, as well as my high school career, I look back to see what has been one of the most prominent things I have learned since my time at Mansfield Christian.

I did not enter into the sphere of MCS students until my sophomore year when I became a part of the Independent Studies program, which allowed me to attend part time. Once senior year approached, I made the decision to enroll as a full time student, which was ultimately based on my desire to experience all high school had to offer. After all, you only go through this time of your life once.

I had my own opinions and assumptions of what it might be like, but I was not quite prepared for the emotional impact it would have on me. During this time, I have gained a particular piece of knowledge that I will carry with me throughout the years to come. And, it is this:

Some people will attempt to define you before they know you.

Too often, people become known for what is said about them rather than for who they truly are.  Comments become labels. Labels become identities. Rarely, do people get past seeing others through the eyes of someone else. The absence of a willingness to look beyond hinders the ability to ever really get to know someone.

I came to MCS with hopes of building relationships that would deeply enrich my life, and I did. This is true for most of us. But, with my high school experience came exposure to some strife and drama. Can I walk away having gained from both positive and negative encounters? Absolutely. No experience goes without being duly noted in one’s life.

Most importantly, I learned that it is necessary to sift through the rumors and comments made about people and look inside to see who they really are. Legacy and what I will hold on to as I  leave is the simple reality of my need and that of others to be known. Truly known.

You are not defined by your peers. You are defined by a loving God who knows you.

You are his treasured possession. His handiwork. His beloved.

This is the unwavering truth that I will take with me.

About the Writer
Emma Burleigh, Contributor

Emma Burleigh is a fairly new student to Mansfield Christian. She has been a part of the Independent Studies program for three years but decided to try something new for her senior year and enrolled full time. Sad to leave homeschooling and middle of the day naps behind, she is very excited to see what this year has to offer. Home education allowed her the privilege to travel during the school year and for the past four years was privileged to participate in a mission trip to the Havasupai Indian Reservation in the bottom of the Grand Canyon.  Although she is not involved in sports on campus, she spends time riding and competitively showing her horse, Ricochet, and skiing at Snow Trails, where she works as a ski instructor. Emma plans to attend college and has interests in Equestrian Studies and Photography. She is considering leaving Ohio for her college years but has not made any final decisions yet as she waits to see how the Lord leads her during this final year of high school. Her ideal plans include marrying rich, moving to Colorado, and leading a life full of frequent adventures.