INFernO

Pilot With Nerves of Steel

Emma Burleigh, Contributor

This past Tuesday, Capt. Tammie Jo Shults, Navy veteran and current pilot of Southwest Airlines, heroically brought Flight 1380 out of New York to a safe landing near the outskirts of Philadelphia.

When the engine of the plane exploded, shrapnel was flung against a window, causing it to break and resulting in a woman being partially sucked from her seat. After struggling to retrieve her, in air CPR was performed until the plane came to an emergency landing.

Passengers on board were sure they were plummeting to their deaths. It was noted to be “nothing short of extraordinary” when the former fighter pilot calmly steered the plane towards a successful landing. She has become acclaimed for her nerves of steel.

While many claim to owe their lives to Shults and hail her as a hero, she expresses her deepest condolences to the family of the woman, who lost her life that day. Shults is recognized in our nation for her undeniable skills in maneuvering the plane to safety and also for her compassion towards all passengers on Flight 1380.

About the Writer
Emma Burleigh, Contributor

Emma Burleigh is a fairly new student to Mansfield Christian. She has been a part of the Independent Studies program for three years but decided to try something new for her senior year and enrolled full time. Sad to leave homeschooling and middle of the day naps behind, she is very excited to see what this year has to offer. Home education allowed her the privilege to travel during the school year and for the past four years was privileged to participate in a mission trip to the Havasupai Indian Reservation in the bottom of the Grand Canyon.  Although she is not involved in sports on campus, she spends time riding and competitively showing her horse, Ricochet, and skiing at Snow Trails, where she works as a ski instructor. Emma plans to attend college and has interests in Equestrian Studies and Photography. She is considering leaving Ohio for her college years but has not made any final decisions yet as she waits to see how the Lord leads her during this final year of high school. Her ideal plans include marrying rich, moving to Colorado, and leading a life full of frequent adventures.