MCS Students Save 4-Year Old Girl

Elizabeth Sparks, Camden Craner, Wyatt Earhart, and Emma Burleigh

Becca Young

Emma Burleigh, Contributor

Have you ever wondered what you would do, should you find yourself with a child left alone and afraid? Four students of Mansfield Christian were forced to act upon their best instincts when finding themselves in this very position.

On Friday, March 17th, four seniors headed out to Columbus for what was a seemingly normal trip. Those students, Camden Craner, Wyatt Earhart, Elizabeth Sparks, and Emma Burleigh came upon the unexpected, a young child clearly unaccompanied by an adult.

Everyone is familiar with the play places that can be found in malls across the country. For children and parents, the zoo themed play area found in the Polaris Mall has been a place of adventure and great fun. But on this particular day, one young girl found herself wandering farther and farther away from the enclosed playground.

The students were on their way out when they noticed the little girl with bare feet riding the escalator alone. After getting off at the top, she attempted to get back on, almost falling down the moving steps. Quickly grasping her hand, they got her attention. Without a second thought, she put her arms up motioning to be held and in a worried voice said, “I’m scared.”

As the group of friends headed in the direction from which they assumed she came, the little girl kept a constant conversation of enthusiasm describing herself as a big girl. Upon arriving at the play place, they located the family and she was quickly back to having fun.

When asked how they felt about the situation, Camden Craner responded saying, “She could have easily been stolen if it wasn’t for us finding her and Emma holding on to her until we found the parents.” Elizabeth Sparks, in agreement with Camden, went on to say, “This event has really opened my eyes and made me more aware of safety. As a babysitter, I should always be careful and watch out for the kids, who are my responsibility. So many things can happen if we don’t pay attention and watch over one another.”

This story is one of joy but should also serve as a reminder of safety. This world is full of dark, deplorable individuals and if it had been they that had come upon the girl, the story could have had a much different ending.

Be aware. Be safe. And watch out for those around you.