Lady Flames Basketball Banquet

Katie Taylor

More stories from Katie Taylor

Corbin Thebeault

More stories from Corbin Thebeault

Some+of+the+girls+enjoying+their+dinner.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Lady Flames Basketball Banquet

Some of the girls enjoying their dinner.

Mrs. Schmitz

Mrs. Schmitz

Mrs. Schmitz

On Sunday, March 11, the junior high and high school girls basketball teams joined together with their parents, coaches, and family members to celebrate their season with a banquet at Brown Derby Roadhouse. The banquet consisted of awards, funny videos, memories, dinner, and desserts. The night started out with the junior high girls  presented with their awards. Each junior high player was presented with an award that described where they stood out on the court. The awards consisted of best defender, best re-bounder, best shooter, and most inspirational. The girls, coaches, and family members then enjoyed a delicious dinner, until it was time for the junior varsity and varsity awards.

The JV girls were all presented with a participation award, but some girls were recognized by teammates and coaches for more than that. Sophomore, Melissa Hord, was presented with the “Torch Award,” which meant that she showed Christ’s love and encouragement towards others. Freshman, Kylie Slater, was awarded the “Most Inspirational” award, because  always had a smile on her face. Sophomore, Logan Mowry, was awarded with “Champion of Excellence,” showing she proved herself excellent on the court.

The varsity girls were last to be awarded. Like the junior varsity girls, the varsity girls were all presented with Participation awards. Five girls on the varsity team were recognized for their positions on the court. Freshman, Elle Schmitz, was awarded with “Most Steals and Assists,” because she always played hard on the court. Junior, Sophie Mowry, was awarded with “Most Improved” and also was recognized for her phenomenal writing skills in the Classic in the Country 2018 pamphlet, which included her summary of the annual tournament. Senior, Heidi Smith, was awarded with “Champion of Excellence” for her record breaking rebounds in her four years of basketball, proving herself well on the court.  Senior, Faith Weinhardt, was awarded with “Most Inspirational” and “Best Defender,” proving herself wise and tough on the court. Lastly, senior, Mallory Hord, was awarded with the “Torch Award,” showing her Christ-like heart and encouragement throughout the season.

The night ended with the senior girls presenting their three coaches with gifts and cake. A special shout out goes to Sadie Mowry for providing amazing decorations and for always going the extra mile to provide a great banquet. A thank you to the JV/Varsity coaches and Head Coach JR Wilson, for providing great opportunities for the girls and for giving his time and his heart into this program; and Assistant Coach, Steve Taylor, for helping coach alongside Coach Wilson when he was in need for an assistant, and for providing encouragement even when we were down and providing laughs.  Lastly, thanks goes to JV Assistant Coach Sadie Mowry, for all the hard work she put into this season.